Skip to main content

THE GRUNGE MATCH - 064

Match 064:

Jerry Cantrell "Cut You In" (1998)
Nirvana "Something In The Way" (Unplugged) (1994)
Pearl Jam "Breakerfall" (2000)
Soundgarden "Birth Ritual" (1992)

When "Cut You In" first came out, I thought it was corny as shit.  I hated music with horns in it on principle (partly because of ska, partly because these instruments made of actual metal weren't metal enough).  It was a song largely about nothing or being lazy, using would-be buzzwords instead of being substantive.  But holy shit does that analysis miss the point.  It's supposed to be a toe-tapper.  It's meant to be catchy.  It's supposed to be fun, goddamit!  That was something I wasn't into musically in 1998; I was uber-serious with my rock/metal music.  So something like "Cut You In" took a year or so to wear me down into liking it.  It's got a groove, the verse drum pattern is unique, and like I said, it's fucking catchy.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have the incredibly dour "Something In The Way", which I felt was too slow to get into because the only emotions I was into feeling in the 90's were the ones people would brand as "toxic masculinity" now.  (They weren't wrong about the toxic part; I was a miserable asshole back in the day.)  This is a good performance, less muddy than the original, though that's not necessarily a net positive.  This one doesn't carry the same weight of despair the original had; it feels like someone retelling a story they once told about their dire present circumstances after they'd been rescued from said circumstances (which, since Cobain was no longer homeless living under a bridge, was true).  Still, not a bad performance.

"Breakerfall" is the opening salvo of "Binaurial", and it's the first post Y2K panic song on the list!  This album came out in the spring of 2000, and by that time Nickelback was on the scene (but not popular yet) and Creed and Limp Bizkit were goddam annoying.  In this climate, Peal Jam released an...okay-ish record.  Even the band agrees this was a transitional album.  "Breakerfall" is a better song than at least half the songs I heard on "Yield", so that's a good sign.  It's short, but punchy.  It's a lot more classic rock-y than...actual rock-y if that makes sense?  It feels like an old band trying to prove that it's still got attitude and mustering up just enough to convince the fan base, but not the outsiders.  Considering Pearl Jam's first album wasn't even as old as it's namesake yet, that's kind of sad.  (Even if it's not a bad little song.)

"Birth Ritual" was originally released on the soundtrack to the movie "Singles".  Knowing that, I should have put it before "Superunknown", but for some reason when I ordered this thing seven months ago, I did this.  C'est la vie.  As it is, "Singles" was pretty important to both grunge and the phenomenon of the platinum selling movie soundtrack.  It's got two unique Pearl Jam songs on it, "Would?" by Alice In Chains, an eight minute Smashing Pumpkins joint and...Paul Westerberg, I guess?  This was around the time that movie soundtracks were seen as must-haves because of the "exclusive" songs, and in some cases (like "Singles") the album does better than the movie.

Anyway,  the song sounds like the exact mid-point between "Louder Than Love" and "Badmotorfinger" in both songwriting and production.  It uses Cornell's high register throughout, and it's a hard-charger but it feels hampered by a muted drum sound.  It's...fine.  A little long with not much going on in the middle to warrant a five minute run time.

"Cut You In": 4
"Something In The Way" (Unplugged): 3
"Birth Ritual": 2
"Breakerfall": 1

TOTALS:

Alice In Chains: 167
Soundgarden: 164
Pearl Jam: 163
Nirvana: 146

Soundgarden moves into second place while Pearl Jam slips to third!  Nirvana also picks up some much needed points to stay in contention.  Let's see what tomorrow holds!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE GRUNGE MATCH - Conclusion

This has certainly been a heck of a thing.

Writing this started out as a labor of love to a subgenre of rock and roll that came along at the perfect time for me (both when I was entering middle school in the bottom 5 of the popularity pecking order and when I started buying albums at the impressionable age of 11).  It obviously took a long time to put together: August 29th, 2016 is when I began planning, May 24th is when I wrote the last entry, the wee hours of August 1st, 2017 is when I finished proofreading and uploading the entries to the blog with video links, and here I am typing these words on August 15th.

The elephant in the room is this genre seems to be built on death.  Three of the four frontmen of these bands are dead, one of which occurred during the run of this series.  (Shouts to Alice In Chains bassist Mike Starr as well.  R.I.P.)  On top of that, Pearl Jam only exists because the lead singer of Mother Love Bone died, causing that band to break up.  If you go down the nex…

R.I.P. Chris Cornell

The Grunge Match is suspended indefinitely.

I don't know when it will resume.  This hits way too close to home for way too many reasons.

As far as writing goes, I just did Match 112 Tuesday night.  I have no interest in going back through and making this a love letter to the departed, nor bashing him for tearing our hearts out.  I have no idea when I'll be able to even listen to Soundgarden again, and when I do, it won't be the fucking same so there's no way I can give any kind of objective rating.  Chris Cornell was the soul of that band, the thing that took sludge with a few acrobatic musical flourishes and made it into the hellfire slinging, metal rending monster that it needed to be.

So yeah.  This one hurts.  The man is dead.  The music remains, but is changed forever.  His friends, family and fans are suffering incalculable grief.  There's not much more to say, so silence seems like the best option.

THE NEXT FOUR SONG CHALLENGE SERIES - Matchup 001

Since dusting off The Big Four Song Challenge Series I got to thinking.  What about the other thrash metal giants out there?  There's always been a debate as to who the next four bands would be on the list.  The two constants are always Testament and Exodus, but nobody can agree who's 5 and who's 6.  Then nobody can agree on who the next two bands would be.  Overkill gets thrown around a lot, but they're not really as big as the two bands I've chosen to fill those slots.

Oh yeah.  Probably should have mentioned.  Though you've probably guessed by the blog post title, I am doing a completely new series of blogs called "The Next Four Song Challenge Series".  Same rules, same set up as before and same INSANE amount of blog posts.  The four bands we're going to be covering are as follows:

Exodus
Testament
Sepultura
Suicidal Tendencies

Why not Overkill?  For one, I could never stand the guy's voice, but all told, Sepultura and Suicidal are bigger h…