THE GRUNGE MATCH - 056

Match 056:

Alice In Chains "Rooster" (Unplugged) (1996)
Nirvana "About A Girl (Unplugged)" (1994)
Pearl Jam "Pilate" (1998)
Soundgarden  "Spoonman" (1994)

Managing to make an already dirgelike song more boring while not being able to pull off the "woo"s at the beginning?  I'd say sign me up, but I don't wanna (but I have no choice cuz I've been drafted).

"About A Girl" on the other hand is well played, manages to add something to the song in spite of being the same as the original just acoustic (might have something to do with being tuned down half a step), and is the first time I'd ever heard the thing.  I didn't know "Bleach" existed until after this, and from the quip "This is off our first record; most people don't own it", neither did most people.  It's equal to the original is what I'm trying to say.

...listening to Pearl Jam is gonna get really boring from here on out, isn't it?  From my recollection, they've never done anything as good as "Yield" again, and this has been underwhelming from jump.  "Pilate"'s not bad, but it's not really doing anything for me either.  It feels like empty calories, where even "No Code" had some substance.  At the same time I feel guilty for bitching, because they're still...okay, I guess.  I'm just worried about future Nick 'round match 091.  (Side note: the name of the song is not "Pilate" like pilates class, bur "Pilate" like Pontius Pilate.)

"Spoonman" has a mean groove, some dude going apeshit with spoons and some woodblocks thrown in for good measure.  Also, everything Soundgarden ever did right without being slow or too cheeky.  What's not to like?

"Spoonman": 4
"About A Girl" (Unplugged): 3
"Pilate": 2
"Rooster" (Unplugged): 1

TOTALS:

Pearl Jam: 151
Alice In Chains: 144
Soundgarden: 136
Nirvana: 129

Keep on keepin' on.  057 up next.

Comments

Popular Posts