THE GRUNGE MATCH - 061

Match 061:

Alice In Chains "Over Now" (Unplugged) (1996)
Nirvana "Dumb" (Unplugged) (1994)
Pearl Jam "In Hiding" (1998)
Soundgarden "4th Of July" (1994)

"Over Now" (Unplugged) is about the same as the original.  No major clams, no changes of note.

This version of "Dumb" is slower, and thus sounds a little dumber as a result.  Maybe it's Cobain laying into the sarcasm in his delivery a bit more, but eh.  Other than that, it's the same.

The only thing saving Pearl Jam from being Matchbox 20 at this point is they're not as clean.  They're also better songwriters, not nearly as douchey, have a little more teeth to their music, and have a drummer who knows groove...okay, maybe Matchbox 20 is a little too harsh a comparison.  But this song is bland and milquetoast, no matter how well it's constructed and how "eh, okay" the melody is.  It's got no raison d'etre, whether individually or in context with the album.

"4th Of July" is so fucking heavy.  To go from "In Hiding" to this is some serious whiplash.  Their using some kind of chord inversion trick to make it sound like they're in G# tuning when they're only in C.  I remember the first time I heard this song, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.  Then I played the song again.  For me, if I hear a song more than once in a week, it's too often, even if it's my favorite.  This song still hits me like a ton of bricks all these years later.

"4th Of July": 4
"Over Now" (Unplugged): 3
"Dumb" (Unplugged): 2
"In Hiding": 1

TOTALS:

Pearl Jam: 159
Alice In Chains: 156
Soundgarden: 155
Nirvana: 140

Only four points separate first and third place now!  This is really tight!

Comments

Popular Posts