So You Might Remember I Was Working On A Book...



Hey there.  In spite of my cheeky title last post, it turns out that 80 views is ASTRONOMICALLY ahead of anything else I can do as far as visibility, so this blog might be my best way to communicate ideas out into the world after all.  If you're reading this, I truly appreciate it!

So anyways, back in 2012 I "finished" "editing" a book of poetry called Solutions To Manmade Problems.  I asked my friend Matt Stevens to do a cover for it, and about a year later of hard sweat, toil and learning new techniques, he came through with the greatness.  In Fall of 2013, his now wife Ashlee took a photo for the back, he mocked it up with a blurb I wrote about what's inside, and it should have been ready to go.

Thing is: a) I was waist deep in the hard part of college at that time, b) I went through years of crippling depression (see the aborted Top Albums Of 2013 list as a chief sign of burnout and self-loathing) and c) I still, to this day, have no idea how to publish a book.  In 2015, I got serious about putting it into a pdf (my final project for a class was a rough copy of how I wanted it to look) and I managed it...then did nothing with it.  I have a bad habit of utterly giving up with the first road block, and it's the reason I've never gotten anywhere.  I gotta stop that.

Fast forward to this year, and I've started uploading poems to YouTube, because I've also been doing my own audiobook (which I started in 2011).  I took a look at the poems (all of them, plus the six years of material I've written since then) and...this book is going to be radically different than it would have been, even in 2015.  Problem is, I don't have access to a pdf maker right now and I need to build this thing from the ground up.  Even the back of the book needs a complete overhaul (the picture's five years old and the blurb is...embarrassingly pretentious in hindsight.  Overall, this delay might have been for the better).  I'll find a workaround, but it's gonna be a pain.

The reason I'm making this blogpost is...I put some poems up on YouTube.  I can't guarantee the book will be done, out, or even worked on this year; I'm just too damn busy trying to get my life together.  But when it's ready, you'll be the first to know.  So in the meantime, to build anticipation and to generate [PUKE NOISE] content, I present the first poem I uploaded: Benediction.  I'll be posting a new one here each day until we're caught up, then one a week, usually on Monday or Tuesday, depending on if my weird work schedule gets in the way.  Thanks for coming with me on this odyssey; the journey's getting fun again.  I'll be updating this blog more often now that I know someone's reading it, that's for sure!

So until next time, read poetry motherfucker!



Comments

Popular Posts