THE TOP 20 SONGS OF 2019

It's that time of year again.  In fact it's that time of decade again!  Time to look back and recount the best of what has been and holy dog's balls was there a LOT of it.  Of all the years the firehose of content could have gone wildly out of control it had to be right when the decade lists were coming due, didn't it?

Those factors being, I've decided to forego the podcast format for the Top Songs this year.  I've also decided to forego doing writeups.  I'm going back to how I used to do these like 10 years ago and post the songs to speak for themselves (with a bunch of added facts at the end; kind of like my It's Time To Rumble series). 

I guarantee there will be some songs you'll hate.  I hope there will be some songs you love.  I'm certain there will be some sounds you find interesting.  Let's get into it:

[If you want to listen to the playlist on YouTube, here it is.  Go nuts!]


20. Possum "The Hills"


19. Devin Townsend "Hear Me"


18. Joe Jackson "Strange Land"


17. Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus "Old Town Road" (Remix)


16. Lowly "Children"


15. Sungazer "Drunk"


14. Kesha "Rich, White, Straight Men"


13. Roses Gabor "Perfect Magnitude"


12. Roses Gabor "Turkish Delight"


11. Christelle Bofale "U Ouchea"


10. Michael Kiwanuka "You Ain't The Problem"


9. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard "Self Immolate"


8. Stella Donnely "Old Man"


7. Chemical Brothers "We've Got To Try"


6. Bring Me The Horizon & Grimes "Nihilist Blues"


5. Vanishing Twin "Magician's Success"


4. The Shanghai Restoration Project "Tactile Sonic Glide" 


3. Ashley O (aka Miley Cyrus) "Right Where I Belong"


2. G Flip "Drink Too Much"


1. Jeff Williams & Casey Lee Williams "Armed And Ready" (Acoustic)



This year set some records  let's go over them:

MOST SONGS IN A COUNTDOWN BY ARTISTS NEW TO ME: 12

The previous record was nine, set in 2012 and 2018 respectively.  The first year I did the songs list (2008), I think there were three.  2015 only had six, and that was a 29 song list because I had to fill two episodes of Expect The Unexpected.  Point is, I went looking for new music and I found A LOT OF IT.

LONGEST SONG EVER INCLUDED IN A TOP 20: The Shanghai Restoration Project "Tactile Sonic Glide" (14:23)

This shatters the old record set by Devin Townsend's "Deconstruction" in 2011 by a full five minutes.  There were a lot of long songs in general this year, with four clearing the six minute mark and two others coming in a hair under it.  The combined length of this list is 99 and a half minutes.  Last year's podcast was only 91 and a half, and that had plenty of commentary, intros and outros.

MOST FATHER/DAUGHTER PAIRS IN A COUNTDOWN: Two

That's never happened before.  Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus both show up, as do Jeff and Casey Lee Williams, though only the latter on the same song.  To my recollection, I don't know if any parent/child combos have ever appeared on one of these.  And while we're at it:

MOST MEMBERS OF THE CYRUS FAMILY TO APPEAR ON THE COUNTDOWN IN ONE YEAR: Two

And both songs are tangentially related to Nine Inch Nails.  2019, y'all.

The old record was zero, as I was never a fan of Miley before now and I'm still unsure how it's possible Lil Nas X added Billy Ray Cyrus to something and actually made it better.  That should not be physically possible, and yet here we are.  We need to protect Lil Nas X at all costs because with powers like that, anything may be possible.

LATEST ADDITION TO A COUNTDOWN: Roses Gabor "Perfect Magnitude"

"Turkish Delight" was technically at the same time, but I'd at least heard that song five days before I put it on the countdown.  I had an idea it belonged.  "Perfect Magnitude" I heard for the first time less than a half hour before.  I had to listen to it a second time to be sure, and yep.  It goes here.

LATEST CHANGE OF NUMBER ONE

For like six months "Right Where I Belong" was my choice, but when I went to do the countdown "Drink Too Much" just...felt better.  And then when I was making up the YouTube playlist to link to this blog...I realized it had to be "Armed And Ready".  I sat on that for a week to make sure, and I still am.

OTHER STATS:

The biggest disparity in popularity between two videos on this list is "Perfect Magnitude" and "Old Town Road".  With just the two I linked, Lil Nas X & Billy Ray have 472,496,988 and Roses Gabor only has 532.  So if you're gonna give any of these some love, that one could use it.

So that's gonna do it for the Top 20 Songs of 2019.  Let me know what you think in the comments or hit me up @NicholasNutter on Twitter to talk about it.  What songs are on your list?  Be on the lookout for The Top Albums Of 2019 blog coming in the next week or so.  And, of course, The Top Songs and Albums of the Decade lists to follow.  Stay safe out there.

Comments

Popular Posts