IT'S LIL NAS X TIME AGAIN: Reviews, 9/30/2021

Meant to get this one out last week, but hey, it was my birthday, so I took that shit OFF.  (It was magical; thanks for asking!)  But now, I'm back to drop some reviews on you, and we have a big one to kick it off:


Lil Nas X "Montero" *** and 3/4

Seamless hybrid of alternative, indie and pop punk with trap crooning.  My dream 20 years ago of "Amalgamy", of music being whatever you want it to be, of genre being a four letter word, has been realized by this pop music/social media savant.

This was my most anticipated album of the year; from hearing the 7 EP in 2019, I really wanted to see what this kid would do next.  And on first listen, I was convinced this was in a battle for album of the year.  I've cooled a bit second time around, but a) It's still in the hunt and b) I'll definitely hear it more in the three months left to go.  Fret not for Montero.

One thing it has going for it is I have literally never heard Lil Nas X do a bad song.  Not one.  Do I like some songs better than others?  Of course.  But his hit rate for me is batting a thousand.  (Especially the non-album cover of "Jolene" he did for the BBC; Lil Nas X sounds real good with a live band.)

This is one of the best albums of the year so far, and I'm confident it will be in the mix (if not outright fighting for the top) when it's all said and done.



Origami Angel "Gami Gang" ** and 1/2

Sugary, energetic pop punk with the slightest of edges.  I was feeling it until track 5 when I realized "Oh God, this is 51 minutes and it's not gonna switch the sound up, is it?"  Well, after that song it did.  Problem is that's when the songs got a little simpler, started singing about high school bullshit and started getting grating.  Not terrible, but just...a little on my nerves.  Also a lot more f-bombs.  Like "sixth grader who just learned how to swear" level.

"Greenbelt Station" quiets things down, but after that the emo side of this band really starts coming out, and even the screamo side a teeny bit (two genres I've never been on board with).  The vocals get real yelpy.

I do appreciate the goofy song titles: "Mobius Chicken Strip", "Isopropyl Alchemy", "Neutrogena Spektor" and "Bed, Bath & Batman Beyond" in particular.  I also like the instrumental virtuosity in the first couple of songs; little twists and turns at the end of phrases that largely disappear as the project wears on with its 20 tracks.  So yeah, I wouldn't give it a glowing recommendation or anything, but this album is all right.  If you're more into mid to late 2000's rock, this might be your jam.



 Asher Roth "The Greenhouse Effect, Vol. 3" **

Starts off interesting: it's a concept album about growing weed.  And it goes into detail: like the actual horticultural information you need to grow pot: soil composition, nutrients, lighting and temperature sweet spots to hit, everything.  There's also a story about some students taking Professor Roth's class, and...

Look.  I liked the show Scratch & Burn back in the day (I guarantee NO ONE remembers that but me), but I can readily admit its flaws: it's a bunch of white dudes doing sketch comedy in the form of rap songs.  This isn't comedy, which makes it more awkward.  Plus, the horticultural lessons don't make for great listening; just novelty.  It's a unique concept, but as music it's not grabbing me.



Dvne "Etemen AEnka" **

Dollar-Store Mastodon.



Andrew WK "God Is Partying" *

SOOOO boring.  How is an Andrew WK album boring?!?  Lot of stoner doom metal and Christian rock going on here.  His heart might be in the right place, but (with the exception of the opener) woof this is lame.  (The instruments also sound hella cheap.)

I hate to say it, but this one makes me feel like the party's over.



Jinjer "Wallflowers" ***

I tried three times to really pay attention to this album, to give it everything I had, and I just can't click with it.  The three star rating is scoring on aggregate: I like the Vision Of Disorder vibe they've cultivated, with touches of Wicked Wisdom (if Jada could sing) and even a little Periphery thrown in.  Oh, and blast beats.  Like all over the place, but still tasteful.

Why don't I like this more?

Track 4 (I think?) and the closer are the only ones I can really distinguish even after three tries.  I should be jamming to this; instead it just washes over me and I feel next to nothing.  (Frustration counts, I suppose.)

I'd recommend it to any metal listeners out there; if we're scoring on points, its got most of what you'd want out of a metal album (no real guitar solos I can remember, but other than that?  It ticks the boxes).  But that's...kind of all it does.  



WILLOW "lately i feel EVERYTHING" *** and 2/3

Liked this a lot more than I thought I would.  I've heard...mixed reviews to say the least, but don't believe 'em: This slaps.  If pop punk is gonna be taken up by a new generation of musicians, this is probably the way forward (she even does that part better than Lil Nas X).  Especially enjoyed "t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l", "naive", "Lipstick", and "XTRA".


So that's that.  Let me know what you think of these albums, or even suggest something I haven't covered (no guarantees; I can't get to everything).  Hope this blog finds you well.  'Til next time:

Love Over Fear.

Comments

Popular Posts