OKAY, I FOUND SOME ALBUMS I LIKE NOW - Reviews, 6/3/24

And I found them in a few places I wasn’t expecting.  But more on that later, here’s:

 
Billie Eilish "HIT ME HARD AND SOFT".  Billie is falling through a door at the top of the frame, into a deep, dark blue ocean of water.

Billie Eilish “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT”

I should have something to say about this after two listens.  I liked it, especially the songs “Birds Of A Feather” and “Wildflower”.  But outside of “Issa vibe”…I dunno.  I could force a deep analysis of each track, try to crank out an essay because Billie’s albums have both done serious numbers for me in times of need, but I don’t have anything beyond “It’s more scaled back than her first two” and “It’s a good, spacey record to close your eyes and get lost in”.

But y’know what?  An endorsement is a review in itself.  If I was doing a mid-year Top 10 this would assuredly make the cut.  But explaining why?  I just don’t have it in me.  I don’t think that’s a failure on my end (I’ve got a writing project on the burner that I can’t talk about yet and I’m analyzing the shit outta some music, believe you me.)  My point is I don’t think it’s a failure at all.

Why am I bringing this up?  Why do I feel the need to?  Because I feel defensive about it.  I feel like a Billie Eilish album should provoke a three page essay (like the first two did).  So if I’m going to find something to say about it besides a genuine “ALBUM GOOD”, I have to look to the Why.  I’m not gonna complain (much) about the…straightforwardness(?) of this project but my inability to connect to Hit Me Hard And Soft besides on the surface level is all I can find to say.

And now I’m talking in circles.

So uh….ALBUM GOOD.  Wish it was great, but I’m not even disappointed, just…eh.


WILLOW "Empathogen".  Willow Smith sits in front of a tan wall, smiling, topless, arms crossed with an open mouth smile displaying several gold teeth.

WILLOW “empathogen”

More acoustic instruments in the mix.  More live drums in the room, dry production.  More piano; the piano is the driving instrument now instead of guitar (though it’s still in the area).  It’s almost a jazz record (close enough for jazz?).  “symptom of life” is my frontrunner for Song Of The Year right now, so if you listen to nothing else from this project, listen to that.

Empathogen is reminiscent of the last few Esperanza Spalding albums, but way more down to Earth.  Like, you could play some of this in a movie or TV show (probably not on the radio; it’s not that universal).  But that’s not speaking to some kind of genericism; this music has a vibrance to it, a soul.  Willow continues to be one of my favorite artists out there.  Empathogen is a change of pace when I wasn’t asking for one, but it still sticks the landing with full marks.


Iron & Wine "Light Verse".  A sky blue cover with white negative space forming illustrations and a solid white border.  A starry sky, a man with a guitar falling to Earth on the right, a tree on the left, a hill with unkempt grass on the bottom and some animal shapes that look like stamps or stencils stacked on top of each other on the bottom right.  Butterflies are also randomly inserted.

Iron & Wine “Light Verse”

A.K.A.: The Good Father John Misty.

I’ve liked Iron & Wine just fine in the past, but I loved this.  I dunno, I just really connected with it; it really got to me.  The orchestra is everything.  I used to think any ounce of romance in me had died, but now I suspect it’s just buried.  (Anyone got a shovel?  I’ve got a map.)


William Doyle "Springs Eternal".  A white square inside of an orange square.  A blue fish is splashing out of the white square as if it were a pond.  The words "Springs Eternal" border the white square like an arch, with the orientation of the letters getting more haphazard as they go left to right.

William Doyle “Springs Eternal”

There’s an atmosphere about this album that made me sit up and take notice.  It feels like this is Steven Wilson’s nerdier cousin trying his hand at indie.  Not just the production but some of Doyle’s vocal timbre.  And then I paid attention to the lyrics and yo, William Doyle just made my (hypothetical) midyear Top Ten.  This is another album where I liked the artist’s previous output, but Springs Eternal has me enamored.


Sarah Jarosz "Polaroid Lovers".  Sarah sits in front of a robin's egg blue door while wearing matching heels.  The trim on the wall is also this shade.  The floor is a light tan colored wood.  She is wearing an orange pantsuit and a royal purple turtleneck.  The walls have a black and white marshland pattern for wallpaper.

Sarah Jarosz “Polaroid Lovers”

A really nice indie country folk kinda time, but dude “Mezcal And Lime”, the closer is where its at.  That’s a song I wanna submerge in and stay awhile.


LustSickPuppy "Carousel From Hell".  A carousel populated with a bunch of curvy, golden masked, red leather bodysuit-wearing demonesses in a field of black.  The carousel has 18 skulls distributed at intervals in different bands on its circumfrence.  There are giant gold clown faces on the roof, more skulls on the top with prongs coming out of their heads and smaller spikes coating all the spaces between all the heads and skulls on the roof.  It's...a lot, but so is the music.

LustSickPuppy “Carousel From Hell”

Sounds like Gangsta Boo joined Atari Teenage Riot with guest appearances from Kid606.  Goes irresponsibly hard.


So there.  A review full of albums I actually like.  I think the mission I talked about two reviews ago is well and truly accomplished.  I’ll let you know if I hear anything else worth commenting on.  Keep it copacetic if you can swing it.

Cuz you never know…


Comments

Popular Posts