SPRING HIT MIX 2020

Been awhile since I did one of these.  Being that Summer doesn't technically start until June 20th, I think I'm okay here.

So anyway, these are singles (for the most part) from artists I've been listening to over the last few months.  A roundup of what goes on in Nick Nutterland, if you will.  Let's take a listen, shall we:

[A link to the full playlist is right here]




1. "Go" E-40

A short, energetic burst from 40 Watter.  Right to the point.





2. "Fire, Ready, Aim" Green Day

Liked this song a lot more before I had to hear it a bunch for Drink The Fire Hose, but I still dig it.  The first two songs on this list are both sub two minutes.





3. "Sunflower Stems" Daedelus

Heard this one a few too many times already, but if you haven't heard it yet, get ready for something OUT THERE.





4. "Teenage Hive" FACS

If Adrian Belew in the 80's decided to play guitar in a stoner rock band.





5. "Break My Heart" Dua Lipa

Haven't heard the whole album yet, but this is the best one I've heard from it.  It's a reasonably good dance pop song, what more do you need?





6. "The Steps" Haim

I've never been into Haim, but the singles for their new album have been making me perk my ears up.  This one sounds like Sheryl Crow, but the first one was some indie-tronic thing and the latest is sorta 80's, so it should be interesting to see how it all comes together.





7. "Idontknow" Jamie XX

This song fucking slaps.  It's not bad for the first minute fifteen, but then the beat switch happens and yooooooo!





8. "Tin King" Ultraista

Some drony electronic bullshit with a pulsing beat.  I don't know why I like this, but I get down to it.  (Also has something to do with Radiohead.)  (Also, the original video has a lot of flashing lights and shit, so I went with this version instead:)





9. "What The Dead Men Say" Trivium

After reviewing the new album, I think Trivium is dece.  I'm'a hafta go back and hear some more of their albums.





10. "Everything She Wants" Alien Ant Farm

It only took 19 years for Alien Ant Farm to give into the formula, but here they are covering another 80's classic, this time from Wham!.  They do a good job.





11. "YES!" Kyle, Rich The Kid & K Camp

I was wondering where Kyle had gotten to.  I liked "I Spy" back in 2017.  This is a nice, bouncy Summer jam.





12. "Kerosene!" Yves Tumor

I admit, I've lost enough people to cancer that I've put off listening to this album despite hearing two songs from it that really caught my ear.  I don't like anything that brings it up and tend to avoid it, but the music is so good...I'll get over it eventually.  Such is life.





13. "Miles" Christelle Bofale

"It seems like nobody's scared enough
It seems like nobody cares enough"

Well, shit...





14. "Jump" DaBaby & Young Boy NBA

One of the only songs off Blame It On Baby I kind of liked.  My statement in the last review about him short-selling his stock seems to be off though, since "Rockstar" went to #4 on the Hot 100.  Guess he does know what he's doing.





15. "Very Noise" Igorrr

Igorrr are fucking weird, and I'm glad they exist.





16. "Means To An End" Sepultura

Sepultura has had such life breathed into it since Eloy Casagrande joined.  Jean Dolabella was no slouch, but man the last two albums have wrecked!  This song is no exception.





17. "Interstellar Love" Thundercat

Another album I really need to listen to.





18. "False Prophet" Bob Dylan

I'm not a Dylan superfan or anything, but this song has some real humanity to it.  It's a real-ass song by a real-ass dude.  We need more of those.





19. "Dying To Believe" The Beths

Like what I hear here and I'm really psyched for the album!





20. "Simmer" Hayley Williams

Kind of a quiet power to this one.





21. "Eugene" Arlo Parks

Slice of life look into a breakup.  Venom and reminiscence in the same breath.






22. "Blackened 2020" Metallica

I've heard a lot of people slag this for not being as good as the original, and I'm like if you're comparing an acoustic version of a song from a band who's members are pushing 60 to one of the most well known heavy songs of all time, like...it's not supposed to be the same thing?  It's not even the same arrangement, strictly speaking.  You're free to feel how you feel about it; it's still not the greatest song in the world or anything, but a re-imagining is more honest than just a re-tread at this point.





23. "Think About Things" Daoi Freyr

A Eurovision song finally got on my radar, thanks to viewer requests on Brave New Faves.





24. "Daisies" Katy Perry

I've liked two of the loosie singles she's put out since Witness ("Small Talk" being the other one).  This is the first time I'm looking forward to a Katy Perry album.  Hmmm...





25. "Under The Table" Fiona Apple

If there was going to be an Expect The Unexpected Episode 104, "Heavy Balloon" would have been my pick, but this one was a single so it goes on the list.  Album is sick either way.





26. "How I Weep" Norah Jones

Like the single lead up for Norah Jones's new one too.  Kind of an odd choice to close with, but if there was ever a time to shed tears, this is it so it seems apropos.


Hope you enjoyed the mix and I hope to see you again next time!

Comments

Popular Posts