Eulogy For Lorraine Nutter

Yesterday was my Grandma's memorial service.  I figured I'd share what I read:

I loved my grandma.  She was always sociable, always a gracious hostess...made the best cookie bars you've ever tasted.  Almost always smiling.  I think that's what I'll miss the most.  That beaming smile.  It reflected back into you and lit you up in return.

Everybody, do me a favor.  Just close your eyes a sec.  Close your eyes and imagine Lorraine smiling.  Eh?  I see it.  That's what I'm talking about.  That smile.  That ability to impart joy onto others just by interpersonal radiation.  If you hold onto one memory of Lorraine, as long as you live, hold onto that.  That feeling.  It's no wonder she was such a good waitress for so many years.  My Grandma was no doubt a people person.  She knew how to connect.

I didn't get to see my Grandma but twice a year growing up.  We lived in Hartland, her and Niles lived up here.  In the 80's it was a six hour drive one way, but with better roads and higher speed limits, it only took four to get here today.  It was when she was moved down to Oregon that I was able to visit her more.  I got to know her as a person instead of this...force of nature.  I mean, when you're a kid, it's sun, wind, rain, parents, grandparents, right?  It's not until you get older that you get to know them as a person, because by then you've become a person.  You've grown into that.

...I wish I'd gotten to do it sooner...Alzheimer's is a terrible thing.  But you could tell she was still in there.  So I'm thankful for that, and for all she's done for me over the years.  I even got to interview her for a term paper about the Great Depression.  And I'll have you know she literally walked two miles to and from school in a foot of snow.  She declined to tell me, however, if it was uphill both ways.

I'm gonna miss her.  We all are.  And that's sad.  It's painful.  But Lorraine wouldn't want us to mourn forever.  That just wasn't her.  Lorraine Nutter lived a long life.  She'd be 94 now.  Not many of us make it that far, but the Hagstroms are hearty stock. 

As is so often the case, we are here to celebrate the past and commit it to the future, so that its memory will live on.  Her memory will live on.  Love you Grandma.  Miss you.  Thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts