TO THE MEMBER OF [REDACTED] THAT PULLED SOME RACIST BULLSHIT IN THE PARKING LOT

You made a friend of mine cry.

You made him cry out of frustration, anger, humiliation...I can't pretend to know what was going through his head or feel what he'd experienced, but your actions caused my friend severe emotional distress.  You questioned his very humanity.  And the worst part is, you probably thought nothing of it.

We were just coming in for second shift, around 5 o'clock.  I was already upstairs getting changed, and dude comes in and explains to me what just happened.  Some guy in a Range Rover pulled up to him in the parking lot and said "You don't look like you belong here."

My friend is black, and you are white.

You began forcing the issue, demanding to see the supervisor and this and that, which is what it came down to because you could not believe a person of color worked at this establishment.  My friend was so riled by the experience, he couldn't regain his composure and went home.

I don't blame him.

There was "nothing the management could do" of course: You're been a dues-paying member for 25 years.  The whole thing makes me wish I'd been in the parking lot so I could've asked "Excuse me sir.  Do I look like I belong here?"  Because I rolled into work in a Hyundai with bumper damage wearing a frayed Bullet Bill shirt and a backwards baseball cap.  Not exactly someone who looks like he "belongs" on the premises either. 

Here's where I'm supposed to say some macho bullshit about how if we ever met, I'd pencil you in for an ADA-certified fist-dentist, but that ain't it at all.

I don't respect you enough to hit you.

I don't want to even waste another brain cell on you, so let's just call you a douchebag and leave it at that.

Money does not buy you the right to be a terrible human being.  [Okay, fuck it; let's be honest: It does.  But it shouldn't.]  Not only did you hurt a friend of mine deeply, but we had to work that shift short-handed because dude went home.  I shouldn't have to write this in 2014, but I do.  And it's DISGUSTING.

You question my friend's humanity?  I question yours.  Learn how to be humane, dickweed; it's got the word "human" in it.

                        -Sincerely,
                            Nicholas Nutter, Human Being

Comments

Popular Posts